Scholastic's Microzine Series

This is where to request new games or programs to be added to the web site

Re: Scholastic's Microzine Series

Postby HoppingFun » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Oh Joy! Eureka! I am so happy to find this forum and this thread!

I wrote a bunch of the Microzine software scripts, including Escape from Antcatraz, and have been searching for away to revisit them. I don't have an Apple IIe but I do have several of the software packages, still shrinkwrapped. The one that I'm missing is Antcatraz. My other adventures are Quest for the Pole (based on Franklin expedition in Arctic), Safari (you play six times, each time as a different animal), and Balloonatics (world geography).

The Scholastic software division disbanded, so I'm not surprised there's no one there to work with. (The company did buy Tom Snyder Productions.) I know a few of the other editors/programmers. Will see if I can make some connections.
HoppingFun

Postby vrocco » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:01 am

Wow! It's cool to have someone who worked on these programs here to contribute. We have been searching out as many issues as we can find in order to make them playable on the emulators. Rivanor has done most of the heavy lifting here. If you have any of the issues we haven't found yet, it would be great to get more. I would love to eventually have the whole series.
vrocco

Postby rivanor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 pm

HoppingFun wrote:Oh Joy! Eureka! I am so happy to find this forum and this thread!

I wrote a bunch of the Microzine software scripts, including Escape from Antcatraz, and have been searching for away to revisit them. I don't have an Apple IIe but I do have several of the software packages, still shrinkwrapped. The one that I'm missing is Antcatraz. My other adventures are Quest for the Pole (based on Franklin expedition in Arctic), Safari (you play six times, each time as a different animal), and Balloonatics (world geography).

The Scholastic software division disbanded, so I'm not surprised there's no one there to work with. (The company did buy Tom Snyder Productions.) I know a few of the other editors/programmers. Will see if I can make some connections.

cool!

It's interesting how software companies don't keep their own software.
rivanor

Postby cylarz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Stupid question but I'm new here. I was conducting Google searches for some way to play the old Microzine games on my PC and I wound up here. Looks like I'm just in time - I can't believe the coincidence. These images have apparently only been posted a few weeks ago, and it was just today that I thought about Microzine for the first time in over twenty years.

I found the directory full of "images." How do I use them - what software do I need to actually run the program? Is there an emulator of some sort that runs under WinXP?

Thanks.
cylarz

Postby Stiletto » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:02 am

Hello, first time poster.

I used to play Scholastic Microzines back in the day and a random posting by Matt Ownby of DAPHNE emulator fame (yeah, I see you here) dredged up old memories. So I found these threads and associated images :)

I thought I'd contribute by padding out the descriptions. This is what I've been able to piece together using the information on this forum and Google. Not all of these are dumped/imaged yet.

Microzine Jr. Issues
• Microzine Jr. #00 - Where is Piggy?/Video Garden/Storybook Maker/Eye Spy/The Microzine Jr. Guide
• Microzine Jr. #01 - Mask Maker/Safari!/Talk to B.E.R.T./Eye Spy
• Microzine Jr. #02 -
• Microzine Jr. #03 -
• Microzine Jr. #04 -
• Microzine Jr. #05 -
• Microzine Jr. #06 - Information, Please: A Database/Bobo's Fun House/The Case of the Missing Lunch Box/On The Go
• Microzine Jr. #07 - Shape Machines/Walkabout/Fill-in Fun/Rock Around the Block
• Microzine Jr. #08 -
• Microzine Jr. #09 -
• Microzine Jr. #10 - Sorting the Snorks/The Whale of the Month Club/P.S. Write Back/The Case of the Missing Microzine Jr.

*Note: there may be more of these.
Unknown ones include:
• "Balloonatics"
• "ZooStorm"
• "The Microzine Jr. Guide/The Case of the Garden Plot/Graph Maker/Crickety Manor/Math Ani-Mall"
• "The Microzine Jr. Guide/The Case of the Class Trip/Board Silly/Your Town/Something Fishy"

Microzine Issues
• Microzine #01 - Haunted House/Ask Me: Robert MacNaughton/Poster/Secret Files/Computer Stuff/What's Next
• Microzine #02 - Northwoods Adventure/Melody Maker/Computer Stuff/Ride The Wind/Word Ladder/What's Next
• Microzine #03 - Mystery at Pinecrest Manor/Computer Stuff/Tag/Bookstore/Amazing Robot
• Microzine #04 - Adventures in the Microzine/Computer Stuff/Ask Me: Tom Snyder/Log-it!/Traps/What's Next
• Microzine #05 - Amazing Robot II/Fences/Pirates of the Soft Seas/Story Teller/Computer Stuff
• Microzine #06 - Fossils Alive/Computer Stuff/Olympic News/Free Store/Sound Off/Computer Stuff/What's Next
• Microzine #07 - Brain Drain/Computer Stuff/City Blocks/Survey Taker/Back Page/What's Next
• Microzine #08 - Zazoo Come Home/Secret Journal/Drawing Board/Computer Stuff/Letter from the Editor/Back Page/What's Next
• Microzine #09 - Letter from the Editor/The Big Nap/Computer Stuff/Budget Maker/Quizzler/Back Page/What's Next
• Microzine #10 - The Shot Heard 'Round The World/Computer Stuff/Sailing/Billboard/Back Page/What's Next
• Microzine #11 - The Dark Tower/Computer Stuff/Secret Coder/Sticker Factory/Back Page/What's Next
• Microzine #12 - Letter from the Editor/Wagons West/Computer Stuff/Newspaper Maker/T-Shirt Puzzles/What's Next/Micro-Toon
• Microzine #13 - The Frog & The Fables/Computer Stuff/The Secret of the Sphinx/Who's Who In Outer Space/Back Page/What's Next
• Microzine #14 - Letter from the Editor/The Funhouse Caper/Computer Stuff/Cartoon Maker/Inventors & Inventions/Puzzler/What's Next
• Microzine #15 - 2008: An Oval Office Odyssey/Computer Stuff/Keyboarding/Roundup/Estimator/What's Next
• Microzine #16 - Tickets to America/Solar Pilot/A Traveler's Guide to Fantastic Places/Shifty Shapes
• Microzine #17 - MicroAgent of the Body Guard/Computer Stuff/Mission: Mix-Up/Marvelous Menagerie/BASIC Training/What's Next
• Microzine #18 - History Mystery/Computer Stuff/Letter Writer/ScholastiCalc/Rose & Calumny/What's Next
• Microzine #19 - Letter from the Editor/Malice in Wonderland/Computer Stuff/Animation Lab/Calendar!/Estimator/What's Next
• Microzine #20 - Voyage to See What's on the Bottom/Computer Stuff/Interactions/Heros & Villains/Monitor Mystery
• Microzine #21 - Letters/Robot Rescue/Computer Stuff/Fill in the Blanks/Fabulous Kids/Monitor Mystery
• Microzine #22 - The Haunted Channels/Computer Stuff/NewsPrint/Math Mall/Monitor Mystery
• Microzine #23 - Math Mall/Monitor Mystery/Greetings!/Escape from ANTcatraz/Letters/Computer Stuff
• Microzine #24 - Captains of the China Trade/Banner Maker/Dr. Maxwell's Molecule Magic/Monitor Mystery
• Microzine #25 - Cosmic Heroes/The Learning Machine/Blueprint Maker/Picture This
• Microzine #26 - The Wizard of Darkling Wood/Congratulations!/Math Mall/Picture This
• Microzine #27 - Rebus Maker/Constellation Odyssey/The Learning Machine/Mystery on the High Seas/Microzine Guide/Monitor Mystery
• Microzine #28 - Stationary Maker/Quest for the Pole/African Animals/Sound Lab
• Microzine #29 - Microzine Guide/Desert Dilemma/Screen Artist/The Myths of Olympus/Light on Target/Picture This/Computer Stuff
• Microzine #30 - Toward The North Star/Contraptions/Poster Maker/Double Vision
• Microzine #31 - Presenting!/Volcanic Voyager/Game Plan/The Mystery of the Missing Mechanical Mutt
• Microzine #32 - Microzine Guide/Eyes on the World/FYI: A Database/A Night at Fleener's/The Case of the Unidentified Alien
• Microzine #33 - Microzine Guide/Planet, Plan-It/Word War/Going to Pieces/Historical Hysterics
• Microzine #34 - Microzine Guide/The Case of the Missing Rose/Secret Sentences/The Mystery of the Olympic Impostors/FYI: A Database
• Microzine #35 - Microzine Guide/What's Missing?/World Agent/Let's Graph It!/Grid Block
• Microzine #36 - Trap Doors/Dr. Think & The Idea Factory/It Fits!/The Case of the Crafty Caper
• Microzine #37 - Microzine Guide/The Case of the Cutting Caper/Math Mall/The Race for Independence/Nutrition Explorer
• Microzine #38 - Microzine Guide/Eskimo Escapade/Math Mall/Outer Space Adventures/Exploring Simple Machines
• Microzine #39 - Microzine Guide/The Case of the Baffled Baker/Math Mall/The Stars of the Harlem Renaissance/Exploring the Earth's Tilt
• Microzine #40 - Microzine Guide/The Case of the Destroyed Dunker/Math Mall/The Great Pawnee Buffalo Hunt/Exploring Animal Adaptations
• Microzine #YY -
*Note: order within disk images may not be correct, some inaccuracies are likely.

*Note: there may be alternate titles for these:
Unknown ones include:
• "Sol Searchers, Inc."
• "Polly Wants A Cracker"

red = undumped/redump needed

PS. Microzine Jr. #07 is on eBay right now...

- Stiletto
Last edited by Stiletto on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Stiletto

Postby fan1bsb97 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Any news on Microzine #17? I'm dying to play Mission Mixup!
fan1bsb97

Postby Stiletto » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:51 am

francmulloy is a signature spammer.

Also, if someone could boot up Microzine Jr. #2, #4, and Microzine #YY, in an emulator and get me the program/game listing/descriptions, I would find it useful for the list I have going in the thread here. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72&p=1768#p1768
I may eventually get around to it but I don't use my Apple II emulator that much these days.

This page offers some publication dates:
http://www.highcastle.com/MarkHome/pubs.htm
I wonder if we can get a full list of publication dates eventually?
also, I can't place Sol Searchers, Inc. (MicroZine), Polly Wants A Cracker (Microzine), and ZooStorm (Microzine Jr.) in the titles we have so far...
Stiletto

Postby daavidfischer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 am

As per online data the Microzine concept is started in Liverpool and the aim is to provide a continuously refreshed and exclusive stock of clothing, gadgets, art, sneakers and home-ware. The London Microzine store gives you a homely feel with comfortable seating, friendly store staff and displays of clothing and gadgets merchandised between art and furniture.
http://www.garciniareviews.org
daavidfischer

Previous

Return to Game Requests